Trying to find newts

J

joshua

I live in Oklahoma, and have looked at some pet stores trying to find newts, no species in perticular, and am having no luck. Would you recomend buying them from a pet store, or ordering them, and if you recommend ordering can you give me a good place to order from?

im from hamilton ontario canada and there are lots of pet stores that carry usually oregon or chinese fire bellies, and thats were i got mine and so far iv had no complaints, so my advice would to just keep looking , i don't know much about the ordering side of things but good luck in your search

Anything you find at a pet shop or from most online dealers will be wild-caught. If you are not picky about what species, you should be able to find something captive bred. Keep an eye on the ads on this site, or contact breeders who have posted ads in the past. Right now is egg season, so there will probably be something available this spring. Some of the easiest species to raise from juveniles are ribbed newts, axolotls, Cynops cyanurus, and crested Triturus species.

Yea it's hard to find any kinds of newts in IL to. There is plenty of fire belly toads though. lol

Josh, if you are on the main page of the forum, near the bottom is where people post if they want to sell or give away their newts. If you keep an eye on that, something should pop up.

Well I wanted to get a emperor/mandarin/crocodile newt, but I ended up going a different way I get a albino leopard gecko. But thanks any way.

i had a hard time finding newts anywhere too. i live in NJ in a surburb near newark. went to 2 local shops.. nada not even a empty tank setup.... Petco.. same thing not a newt in the house.. then i found a shop that had a semi-aquatic tank setup with picture labels for firebelly's, california's, and mandarin's but it was empty 'cept some guppies. luckily i was told there expecting some arrivals on wed.. so hopefully i'll be able to save a mandarin from the crowded tank

what are the prices some of yall see in the store trade?
the shop i found with the tank and pic labels had

japanese firebellys $8.99

california $9.99

mandarin $19.99

i haven't bought a newt since '98. i had a firebelly(japanese CO) and eastern for 4 years and it cost $3.99 and $1.99 back then. I remember the prices back then to be like this in the shop i frequented:

eastern (all varieties except efts)$1.99 i bought some eastern's in 92 and 98 and this price seem static. none of the shop is went to this week had any so i dunno what they go for now

japanese firebellys $3.99
chinese firebellys $4.99
california $8.99
mandarin $12.99

those are the only species i've seen for sale in NJ. no sallies or axies at all
i've only seen one shop that actaully seperated & housed the mandarins in a more terestrial environment, unfortunetly they closed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back