Cycling tank...HELP!

K

karen

Just reading up on cycling and am a bit concerned....does this mean I can't put my newts in their tank for a few weeks or months??? Even with the live plants, what is the minimum time I can wait? I did purchase a water testing kit (for pH, ammonia, nitates, nitrites), if that helps.

Cycling can be as short as a couple of weeks or take more than two months but the typical time frame is around 30 days. Using the test kit will help determine when the cycling has been completed.
see http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml

You can place the newts in the tank but will need to be extra viligent about monitoring the water quality, not overfeeding and performing the needed water changes to prevent the levels of ammonia, and nitrite from becoming toxic. Even if they do not reach toxic levels, there may be enough stress on the newt to cause it to leave the water or even stop feeding which is why it is typically recommended to not place the animal into the tank until after it has been cycled.

Ed

(Message edited by Ed on January 01, 2006)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back