Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Treating Wild Driftwood

S

samuel

Hi all,

Today while on an island, I picked up a stunning piece of driftwood and now i have it soaking in a pail. Anyone knows how to treated beach found driftwood? I'm planning to tie some christmas moss on it after treating and intro it into my tank. Thanx.

Sam

J

joeri

Boiling it would surely kill all that must be killed.
Did you find it a the beach as in "at the seaside"? Then you may have to get rid of the salt in it as well, but I have no idea how that should be done.

Greetz

K

kagh't

give it a big long soaking (a few days), and add my favourite killy thingy, baby bottle steralising solution. it's not as harsh as bleach, and can easily be washed out of wood.
then give it a boil just to make sure, and all should be fine.

S

samuel

Hi Kagh't. U are a member at aquahobby right? Haha me too... Thanx for replying to all my posts. Btw, u keep caudates too? What kind?

Yeah, Xixxaro, i found it at the sea side. Think it's some kinda mangrove branch... Not too sure. I think soaking it in water a few days shd remove the salt.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1