What would do good in this type of set-up?

J

j.j

I have a ten gallon vivarium, everything in the tank is filled halfway up. One quarter is soil and I have some ferns. 2 quarters is all gravel and rocks and the last quarter is water. The temp stays at about 70*. Give or take a few degrees in summer and winter. I dont have a heater in the tank. I was thinking of getting a CFBN and try to lower the temp of the tank a bit. But if anyone knows a better newt or salamander that would do better in this enviroment please let me know.

hmmm noone has any suggestions eh? How odd I figured you'd all know what would do good in this set up.

I think this setup would be fine for a Chinese FB, although I would suggest getting rid of the 2/4ths that is gravel/rock and just have 3/4 water. That much gravel will just trap debris and start to decay and smell like a sewer. Be sure the light is flourescent. Hopefully it will be enough for the fern. There are other newts that would do fine here too, but they are not as easy to obtain. Also, firebelly toads come to mind (but not together with a newt).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back