Redback salamanders

S

salamanderguy

I have almost no idea how to feed redback salamanders, any help would be greatly appreciated. Some questions are:
1.)how do i feed them
2.)how often do i feed them
3.)what do i feed them that's easy and relatively inexpensive

from what i can remember reading, they have very small mouthparts so:

1 get the food and place it in front of them with tweezers, make sure it is live or they will not eat it

2 a couple of time a week is the usual amount, but it really depends on the temperature your keeping them at. if it is higher then they need feeding more often and vice versa

3 earthworms, very small earthworms! you could chop them in half so they still wriggle. tiny newly hatched crickets and other tiny LIVE foods

hope this helps

This caresheet might help:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Plethodon/P_cinereus.shtml
Feeding small terrestrial sals can be a pain in the neck. Your either have to collect bugs outside, or rely on pinhead crickets (which most US pet shops don't sell) or culture fruit flies and springtails. If these things are not easy enough or cheap enough, I'd suggest putting the sals back where you found them.

I've put in some earthworms, chopped up into small pieces, in a bowl, they seem to eat it, at least, some of it was gone. I didn't use the tweezers because when i tried it, i sat there for 10 minutes with it in front of the salamander and it didn't eat it.

DO they eat vegetables of any kind?

Do putting in any potted plants make a difference?

They do not eat any vegetation at all.
Potted plants will provide hiding spots but any fertilizers or pesticide residues in the pots can injure or kill the salamanders.

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back