Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Shipping NVV

W

wyatt

it is getting cold here. i was wondering if i can ship NVV if i pt some heat packs in there? also, how would i ship because would the moist moss get cold(took that from the shipping guide on the site)?
thanks.

(Message edited by jennewt on November 12, 2005)

I

ian

hum... I dont think is a good idea. Even with heat pack, the temp will be so unstable that might kill the newts.

W

wyatt

OK. thanks. i will either have a local pickup thing or just wait.

J

jennifer

If you wait, what better temperatures are you going to get??? Cold is good, any temperature over 70F is the risk (think about a mail truck in the sun). Obviously, you have to avoid freezing them, but mail is usually kept indoors and doesn't freeze unless it goes somewhere VERY cold.

Do NOT use a heat pack, as this would probably kill them. I shipped some newts last week and I still had to use COLD PACKS because the high temp here was near 70F.

W

wyatt

OK, so if i put some wet paper towels below them, they will be fine? should i use a small butter container with holes? then i put them in a box with styro peanuts. Should i ship DHL or what? also, i know i should do next day air. What should i label it?

todays temp was 56 as a high and it felt pretty warm.

(Message edited by mrnewt71 on November 13, 2005)

J

jennifer

Wyatt, sounds like you need to re-read the article about shipping. Then contact the shipping company you want to use for details.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1