Sick cfb

L

lena

i have a 5yr old cfb newt. it was aquatic for the 5 yrs I had it and suddenly it won't go in the water, is lethargic, wont eat and when I put it in the water it started gulping water until it got out??? There were 2 other newts in the tank and they are ok. One is 11yrs old and the other a baby at 1yr. Please i need any help
sad.gif

Sometimes a newt will go through a "phase" where it comes out of the water like this. Sometimes it is because it is sick, but sometimes it just seems to be random. Try feeding the newt its usual food offered with a toothpick or tweezers. It will probably go back to the water when it feels like it.

Just to be sure, you may want to rule out any problem with the water quality. Take a sample of water to a pet shop for testing if you don't have test kits at home.

I put the newt in a sick tank(different water)a few days ago. It hasn't ate in over 2 weeks, I tried
sad.gif
The newt just goes out to land where its dry. I try to keep it moist but it looks like its drying out. The energy level is so low on my newt that I mistaken it for dead many times.Its body looks like mush,limbs at times just lifeless.
cry.gif
In the time its been sick and stopped eating it hasn't lost a noticeable amount of weight (if was kinda fat to begin with. I went out to local bait shop and bought some night crawlers, they didn't work either, I dangled the worm in front of its face, nothing
sad.gif

btw Are these safe for newts (night crawlers) and whats the best way to use them???

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back