Fungus is eating FBN arm and leg

R

ronald

For the past 2 weeks my newt's arm and now his leg are slowly eroding away. It started with his arm. I noticed he held it up as if it were broken. Later, a gray coating appeared at the tips of his fingers and then his arm started to erode. Last week, I noticed his forearm bones were exposed. They fell off this week and there's just a stump left. The fungus(?) spread to his foot and is slowly eroding it one toe at a time. What can I do?

This happened to a few of mine,i had a bunch of chinese firebellies about a year ago i started off with six & ended up with three. one of them got this Fungus on his head & it started to heal
he looked okay for weeks & then had a relapse & died. the surviving 2 newts lasted for about 8 or nine months together & were perfectly healthy as far as i could see.
then i noticed one of them dragging his leg (it looked like he had injured himself climbing)by the time i'd gotten him into a seperate tank it was too late and the wound/fungus had gotten too bad .I guess its very difficult to Heal in such damp conditions & one never knows how unhealthy they are to begin with judging by pet shop horror stories i have heard & seen .the last little guy seems to be fine!!

Put it in a dirt quarantine, treat with antifungals (someone else will have to direct you to the best one). until you get antifungals, treat with a salt bath. You can find directions for this on Caudate Culture.

I'll try the salt bath method although I'm not very good with measuring out ingredients.
My newt's humerus is now showing. Should I snip the exposed portion off to help the healing process?

I suggest that you seek a vet's help as the infection is probably beyond the point that you are observing (infections can travel within bones).

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back