My fire salamander

B

brendan

hey, im new here, but ive had my salamander for about a year. i have my male fire salamnder(full grown? about 6.5 - 7 inches) alone in a 20 long tank. he's pretty healthy, he eats well and all, ive got peat moss and topsoil (no fertiliser) as a ground, ive got a nice waterdish which i made a burrow for him under (he goes under there all the time), i made a nice rock structure for him, which he goes in and on top of... i forgot where i was going with this... anyways, i noticed that he stays up dring the day, i have no idea what he does at night, im asleep. i feed him crickets sometimes, and i hear fire salamanders are supposed to have "long protrudable sticky tounges", or something like that. anyways, he just chases them around the tank until i have to breake the crickets legs, or hold them while he eats them. mostly i feed him slugs, i find them in my yard, and he seems to not mind the variety, or lack thereof. i fed him a worm before, and even though i chopped it, he managed to choke on it, so i had to take it out of him while he was spiting it up. ever since, hes never accepted another worm. talk about ptss, smart little feller. i have some plants in his tank, and they grow really well. ive heard that plants dont fare well in tanks, but for some reason, mine are good. ive even managed to grow some seeds and some ferns from spores, and im working on growing some moss in there now. umm, i forgot where this was going again. well, ill end it there. thats a lot info and a lot of questions, thats ADD for ya...

-brendan

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back