Tiger Salamander wont eat

C

christian

A few months ago i found a tiger salamander in my basement. I decided to keep him and he has been doing fine, but this morning i found another one. This one looks very skinny, but seem to be ok other wise. The problem is that he doesnt seem to want to eat. My first salamander took to eatting what ever i held in front of him right away, but this one has not and im a little worried about him. Anyone have suggestions on what to do for a starved salamander that wont eat?

Thanks for the help and as an update the new salamander ate a cricket today and then buried himself in the dirt. He still looks bad, but he did get more active once he grabed on to the cricket. Also would dusting a cricket in vitamins be good or bad at this stage?

Yes, if you use crickets regularly, they need a good calcium/vitamin powder.

Heres a pic of the salamander. This is 3or 4 days after i found him. He been eating crickets now. He seems to look fine except for one small red spot on his belly. It might be a scratch from the spot he was hiding in, but im concerned that i could possible be fungus of some type. Is there something i ought to do or should i just keep an eye on it to make sure its not spreading?
75775.jpg

(Message edited by nerd31337 on January 05, 2007)

Is the spot fuzzy? Keep an eye on it, and it won't hurt to put a dab of Neosporin on it. Warning: Neosporin and other triple antibiotic ointments are fine, but nothing with any pain reliever/numbing agent in it. To be on the safe side, just purchase the brand name, Neosporin and apply a bit onto the spot with a Q-tip.

he looks very healthy u must take good care of him i have 2 barred tiger salamanders and they stop eating some times i think thay just get lazy my ones stop eating every 2 weeks for a day or 2 coz i feed my ones a wax worm each every day. there my babies there so active aswell but i would try newspeper for a time and se if thay like that coz my ones dont mind if as long as they hav a cave or somin its ok

Hi Jake, when you say "try newspeper" do you mean "newspaper"? Do you keep your salamanders on newspaper?

Yeah, I'd stay away from newspaper for obvious reasons....i.e. ink, non-absorbent, unnatural, unburrowable.

no i do not but i no people that do and they have had no problems

If the red spot appears to be some kind of sore, it might be better to keep the sal out of the water dish until it heals. Damp paper towels are a good semi-sterile substrate used for quarantine tanks, but I wouldn't recommend newspaper.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back