Took in abandoned salamander...but need help!!!

S

sharon

54408.jpg
my daughter recently took in an abandoned salamander, but we are new to the care and upkeep of them. We have had him almost a month. One pet store said to set up his tank w/aquarium gravel and water, and another says peat moss/mulch so they can burrow. HELP!! also, we started him out on earthworms, which he ate really good the first couple of weeks, but now he has not eaten in 2 wks. Is this normal? I haven't tried crickets yet( I admit, I hate the thought of handling them!!!) I am not entirely certain what kind of salamander he is...here is a picture. I would really appreciate any help/advice anyone can give. Thanks in advance!!!!

It a tiger sal. There is a whole section on them under the topic "common name"...then go to the one that says tiger salamander. There are also pics of many peoples setups in the photo gallery. They do like to borrow in dirt or moss, not water.

Hope this helps.

you need a dish of water, lots of moss and soil(look for coconut fiber) leave some crickets in the setup and try tweezer feeding some earth worms.

Thanks for the help so far. Please, keep the info coming. I am heading off to the store to get the new stuff for his tank. He seems very small compared to others in the pictures I saw, what is the key to getting him to grow. Not sure how old he is, or how much more he will grow. Here is a better pic of him. thanks again. and hope to hear more!!
54412.jpg

my guess that he/she is still young. With some time and worms he will get bigger!!

I'm glad you found the pics. There are some great set-ups that people have posted.

Thanks for the help guys. I went out and got new stuff to set up the tank. Maybe this will be better suited for "him". I also got 2 dz sm. crickets, and he has eaten about half of them already. My daughter just came and said that he is starting to burrow. So, maybe it will work. Here is a pic of the new setup. Keep the info coming please. I need to learn all I can, to get this one to grow like all the ones I saw last night looking thru the pic gallery on here.
54451.jpg

And here is one more of the new set up. Let me know what you think...
54454.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back