Setup Help

A

andrea

I've had a P.Hongkongenisis for about 3 months now in a 10 gallon aquatic environment. He's had a piece of slate he can climb up on as well as a piece of drift wood. I recently aquired a Firebellied toad to add to the tanks inhabitants of my newt, a Jack Dempsy (chilid fish) and feeder fish (the ONLY thing my newt will eat) I added another slate piece for the frog to climb on, but i want to turn the tank part terrestrial, not only for the frog but the newt as well. I have found everything i need to do this, except one vital piece of equipment: the plexiglass to sepereate the soil and water! Anyone know of a good online site to aquire this or of a larger pet store chain that would have it??? Thanks!

Please read:
http://www.caudata.org/caudatecentral/articles/Mixing_disasters.html

A 10-gallon tank is too small to divide into a land/water setup. If it's half full, you already have only 5 gallons of water for way too many animals. If you add a plexiglass divider, you will further reduce the water volume. Please consider getting a few more tanks and really optimize each setup for the type of animal. They will not be happy campers together for very long. Don't trust the pet shop which undoubtedly told you this would all be fine and dandy.

I'd expect a petshop trying to sell me a big and expensive tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back