CFB egg marathon!!

A

amy

One of my fire bellied newts is laying eggs which is fine, but she has been doing so since Christmas Eve. I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be taking this long, right? Is she ok? She is only laying about 1 egg per day at the moment, is there anything I should be doing to make all this a little faster/less stressful for her?

Seems like making it faster would be MORE stressful. Better to just let nature take its course. My JFB are laying eggs in the same pattern - one egg every day or so. They laid about 10 eggs right around Christmas, but the rest are coming very gradually. It's not abnormal for them to lay eggs over a period of months.

Thanks. I knew I couldn't actually speed it up, but I thought maybe I was doing something that might be holding her back. Thats fine, as long as she's alright.

Congrats on the eggs.
lol.gif
Five years ago, there were very few caudate breeders. Now, due to education and the information available, breeding is becoming much more common.

Also, my granulosa started laying eggs in the beginning of December and is still going.

~Aaron

What's the temperature of the tank? Lower temperatures decrease the number of eggs per day though I won't recomend higher temperatures than 20º.
It is very nice to become a Mom/Dady
blush.gif

Jennifer could you send me the picture that you have posted in caudata central of your breeding t.karelinii? The pic is very small and I can not see it properly. It seems that your Karelinii's crest is quite uniform which is very different from mines. You have one pic of one of my males in the photo gallery (I finally got them). Please don't hesitate to contact me.
Best wishes

My temp is about 60/62 C. I'm not sure what that is in farenheit though. Someone on this forum told me that would be an ideal temp for them and they have always been at that and seem to be doing well (up until now!) although, she does seem very happy and is still eating well. Is this temp ok?

60C is the temperature of a cup of hot tea! I think you mean your temp is 60/62F, which is about 16C. From what I've heard, that's perfect for CFB health and happiness.

Question though, if they lay one egg a day, does that mean they will hatch one day at a time? in this case won't your newts mature almost one behind the other (of course considering different variables) but my newt is laying one egg at a time and I'm worried about this factor (not so much canabalism) but still worried, I'm only at 2 eggs though

Keriz, that is a problem I have also had. You may end up raising several separate batches, sorted by size. Right now I have firebelly larvae/newtlets in 4 separate containers.

Will the eggs layed by a single newt (or sal)hatch? I mean don't they need to have a male companion to fertilizate them?

Yes, they need a male. But he does his job in advance - fertilization takes place inside the female with sperm received hours, days, or even weeks before the eggs are laid.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back