Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

friend

M

mary

My oregons are very social with each other. However, as Jennifer pointed out, unless you get them at the same time you are taking a serious risk of introducing a diseased animal. I know this from personal experience.
Take care,
Mary.

J

jacob

Oregon newts, as with other species, produce very toxic skin secretions that can and almost definitely will kill any other newt placed in the same tank.

a few years ago I had my pair of granulosas in a tub. When I took them out and gave them a new tank, I used the same tub later on to temporarily house three of my biggest spotted salamanders. Well, after a couple of hours of being in the tub (which I rinsed, but apparently not enough) two of them were dead and the remaining one was convulsing in the corner. I learned from that mistake.
Now when I change species in the tubs I usually throw scalding hot saline solution and scrub entirely.

J

jacob

they can't be kept with any other newt that is not Taricha granulosa (not <u>any</u> other species like is said)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!