Triturus marmoratus mouth lesion

B

brian

Hi. i have a Triturus marmoratus that has some injury on its mouth. it looks like a soar on his bottom lip. he is housed with another mamoratus (land setup with big water dish)and there really isnt anything that would cut him i dont think. i have had them for only 2 weeks, and the other newt seems fine. What should i do? iv heard a salt bath would help. i am afraid to put neosporin on him since i still want him to get used to the setup. thanks for any help.

Yes salt baths should help if its fungal, but i don't know if it is. I never heard of using neosporin on a newt before but i guess it might help. It could be sign of stress from the set-up if its new. Good Luck

Do not use the Neosporin if it has Benzocaine or any other kind of pain relief drug in it. Doing so will likely lead to death very quickly.

I would recommend using Bactine to stave off any kind of bacterial infection. It's the anti-bacterial spray that the National Wildlife Health Center uses for amphibians.

i dont have a digital pic at the moment unfortunately. i read an earlier post about a guy who had an axylitol (spelling?) who had the same thing and salt baths did the trick. he described it as the newt looked to be wearing lipstick on its lower lip (just like mine) A bactine spray does sound better then a topical cream. i do have reservations about applying something topical mainly because it is so close to his mouth. He hasnt eatin in a few days. i will go to walmart and buy worms for him to try since he doesnt eat crickets, only waxworms thus far. i really hope he gets better because A: he cost $70 and B: the other newt needs his friend in the nice tank i got. thanks for your rapid responses you guys!

Because of the nature of salamander skin, anything applied topically will be absorbed into the body much the same way as anything ingested. Either one would probably be fine. However, the spray might get in the way less while feeding.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back