Is it mating season?

N

newtmother

I took the bully newt out of the tank, and put the small one back in. He is now eating and playing. But, yesterday I noticed he has becaome the bully. I have one female and two males. Will the voilence stop any time soon? The female seems to be the one picked on the most but eats just fine. I am going to put deviders in the tank. Will this help or is it a waste if money?

The divider will help. I am not sure about newt, but in most territorial animals, the behaviour will not stop anytime soon.

a divider that lets water though would be fine and not mess up filteration. Also more plants seem to cut down on confrontations.

Is this mating behavoir? Or is it their nature to be agressive all th time?

Well. I think some species have biting as mating behaviour. not sure about yours. So I pass on that. But I doubt bullying is a behavior of mating.

I do not think it is mating behavoir. They are trying to rip eachother's legs off. I noticed some white stuff coming out of one of the newts genital area. What is that?

well that may be a spermaphore, I spelled it wrong I am sure, but If it is that then it is a male newt for sure and that is what the female would use her genital area to grasp it in.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back