Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

NOT EATING

ryan

Reaction score
Help, Bart (mudpuppy) has eaten only one nightcrawler since I got him, which was 3 days ago, should I even worry or am i just paranoid. He doesn't even look at the worm, he just crawls away.

J

john

well, I personally wouldn't worry too much. It could be under a good deal of stress from the change in environment and merely need time. Keep the water temp in a good range (shouldn't be a problem this time of year) and give him some time.

ryan

Reaction score
Thanks but are there any signs that i should look out for that show that he does need to eat.

G

garrison

I have to agree with John. Your animal is probably stressed from transport. Caudates can go for weeks without eating without being affected too badly, and with this time of year, your mudpuppy probably doesn't have much of an appetite as it is. Honestly if you've gotten it to eat already that's a good sign.

If you're still concerned, characteristics of not eating are general skinniness(not sure what that looks like on this species). Sometimes long term lack of food can cause stress and make it more prone to diseases and parasites.

Ultimately I'd give it a week or two to let it settle and keep trying.

ryan

Reaction score
Thanks did you see my new feeding strategy under general discussion called "new strategy" because I believe he has eaten a small piece of nightcrawler that was placed in the tank on a small dish.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1