Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newt refuse eating!

G

geneviève

Hi!

My Tylototriton shanjing refuse frozen food as blood worms and refuse also living food like mealworms. The only things she accepts are earthworms. But at this time of the year (I come from Québec) I cant find earthworms!!!

Please help me, she has eaten for the last time approximatly 3 weeks ago!

Thank you!

J

jesper

Well I advise you to start an earthworm colony then so you have earthworms all year round, in the meantime why dont you order earthworms? I am sure some part of canada or the united states have earthworms for you if you pay up I am pretty sure they can ship in a couple of days. Have you tried living food other than mealworms(not liked by most newts), I use drosophila when my newts dont eat properly. They seem to be hard to ignore. If you have a big university close I am sure they probably can start you up on drosophila.
Have you tried crickets?

J

jennifer

I'm not sure what you can find in Quebec, but in the US you can buy live worms all year in bait shops and walmart and kmart stores (fishing department). Also, worms can be ordered from wormman.com and many other places, just do an internet search for "worms" + "Canada" and I bet you find some. Good luck!

G

geneviève

Thank you very much!

I will try to find worms on web and buy some little crickets in pet store, maybe my newt will like them.

G

geneviève

I forgot an important question:

do you think he will continue to refuse food until his dead?!
I hope that when he will be enough hungry, he will eat!

R

rob

LOL Thanks Jesper.

I may be able to help you out Genevieve. You should be able to find a local bait shop that sells them year round...most in my area do.

My shanjing used to like small cricket and earthworms, and I would feed them some more expensive foods now and again, including silkworms or butterworms.

Maggots were also something they enjoyed on occasion.

G

geneviève

Ok, I finally found earthworms, I gave her and she just smelled it, tried to eat it and finally turned back. The last time I gaved her a earthworm, she did the same thing, but finally, she hate it...
I really don't know wath to do now... I know that she likes this food, so why she refuses it now??

han

Reaction score
Because angling/baitshops only sell worms of the fastbreeding kind, Dendrobeanae or Eisenia: bitter tasting/smelling worms, very much disliked by almost any amphibian. Stick to the Lumbricus family, true earthworms like Lumbricus terrestris/
vulgaris. Very nutritious, everything is already inside and for free; catch 'm yourself during spring and summer, start a breedingcolony in autumn. Not much of a help now, i guess.

Han.

J

jesper

Hi Han,
I just started growing dendrobaena veneta because I have read that lumbricus terrestris are VERY difficult to "grow" due to their demand of several meters deep soil and they are slow breeders. I was advised to grow dendrobaena veneta which are not as fast growing as eisenia foetida. I have only heard the rumour that amphibians dont like eisenia foetida, I am not sure if it is because they are bitter but I have heard the rumour. Dendrobaena veneta are loved by my amphibians, both my frogs and my newts.

Cheers
Jesper

F

francesco

Hi
Most of my amphibians (marmoratus, s. s. salamandra, t. alpestris and of course pleuros) eat e. foetida. Only a few fussy ones don't apreciate them probably because of the yellow stuff they produce when bitten and because I got them when already adults. In my experience greedy animals and animals that have been used to eating foetida from after metamorphosis eat these worms without any problem.
Francesco

J

jesper

Hmmm
Dendrobaena veneta produce this yellow stuff too, lumbricus terrestris dont? What is it then?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1