Sick siren

E

eve

hey i am an idiot so forgiv me if i double posted. my 15+old siren is bloated and not eating. i dosed the tank with formalin 3 no improvement thus far. roommate is pressuring me to euthanize but i dont want to give up. too broke for vet. ??!!! i am sad she is so sick. no bloat in her arms or head or tail, just torso.

Hi Eve,
There are a lot possible causes for this that shotgun treatments will not affect.
You are aware that the documented longevity for a lesser siren is 14 years?.....
This could be an issue with senescence.

Ed

Yes I don't know many people that have had a siren, live much longer than 14 years.But I have heard people say things similar to this happen when they get old and about to die. Sorry, I hope that she pulls through..

~John

yeah, i know she's old. i just don't want to euthanize if there is hope that she has a physical blockage (gravel?) that she might pass. probly she has kidney failure. am i hoping in vain? i have euthanized amphibians with disgusting illnesses before, but bloat alone isn't as compellingly obvious as rotting skin/exploding mouth type symptoms

Sorry about your siren. Would you say that the bloat has developed slowly or quickly (in a few days)? I have seen old newts with a slowly-developing form of bloat that must have been due to organ failure and/or old age. If it were due to a blockage, it would require a vet (surgery) to fix.

the bloat has dveloped slowly, at least 2 weeks. at this point she is having problems controlling her movements. too bloated to keep from randomly floating.....very depressing.

I am sorry to hear that. Yes i think that the cause of this is old age/ orgin failure. Sorry.

~John

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back