Can someone ID this larvae?

A

amber

I found some salamander larva in a spring near my house and I was hoping someone could identify them. I live in Northwest Arkansas-- the larva have four toes on both front and back feet. I'm new to salamanders so I was hoping for some help. Thanks : )
3125.jpg

My guess would be some type of slimey sal-Plethodon glutinosus or something similar.

How big is it?

~Aaron

Hi,
Its not P. glutinosus or any of that complex (it has gills) as these guys have direct developement (and if I remember correctly only have gills in the egg as opposed to not having gills at all).
As your list your area outside of the four-toed salamander (which has four toes on each hind foot) and you are also apparently out of the range for the dwarf salamander which also has four toes on the hind feet.
Can you get a good picture over a light solid colored background (like white or tan) of the hind feet? Some salamanders have very small nubs that are counted as toes.
Ed

That's a larval Dark-sided salamander, Eurycea longicauda melanopleura. It actually has five toes on the back feet, the fifth toes are just very small at that stage of devlopment and difficult to see. In the above photograph, they are hidden by the back legs.

I already let the little guys go, I was afraid I couldn't keep them alive for very long. I do have another photo so I'm gonna put it on with this message.
your_image.gif

The reason I was wondering about the species is that four-toed salamanders are considered very rare here and any sightings have to be reported to the local wildlife office.

oops that picture didn't work-- I'll have to try again later.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back