Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Salamander tank

P

phoebe

I might soon be getting some salamanders, as so i know, you have to have stuff ready.
I have a few questions.
Is a 40cm wide- 20 high tank large enough for one and can i use soil from the garden?

Thanks
Phoebe

J

jameswei

It really depends on the species of salamanders. Aquatic ones are going to need a water based set up and nonaquatic will require a terrestrial set up. Until, you can describe the species of salamdner it would be real hard to give you any advice. If you can post pictures of the salamanders you are going to get then it would be easier for people on the forum to offer help and suggestion. Depending on the species and size of a salamander they have different space demands. Garden soil might not be the best because of the chemicals that can be found in them. More importantly, the pH of the soil, if it swings wildly in one or the other direction can be harmful. Coconut fiber, something that is cheap and widely available is something you might want to look into.

edit: look towards the following link for set up ideas.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/setups.shtml

(Message edited by newtron on June 12, 2006)

(Message edited by newtron on June 12, 2006)

P

phoebe

It would, i think, either be a tiger salamander or a simmilar relation, a sort that is terrestrial but likes a wee bath?? I am sorry that i cant give an exact species or details.
Also, could i just buy cheap soil then as you said?? That would be safe?

(Message edited by newt_extra911 on June 12, 2006)

A

andy

If you buy soil just makes sure it's got no pesticides in it. I use John innes no 3.
We can be more precise with set ups and captive care when you decide for sure what species your getting.

P

phoebe

OK. My answer may come in a few days, if not i will start a new forum if NO ONE can help, but thanks for the efforts, i will keep the stuff in mind!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1