OMG newt larvae in my tank!!!!!!

S

shawn

holy miniture newts with gills batman!!!!
i was doing my waterchange on my tank today and to what do the wondering eyes appear but a lil 1/4 inch larvae with gills in my bucket. at first i thaught it was a baby guppy so i scooped it up and looked at it and it had gills and everything!!!! i think their in the spaces in my gravel this one seemed very healthy so naturally i looked at it for a minute then put it back in the tank and it seemed to go right back to a spot in the gravel. what should i do if anything????
Wolfie

what are they?-i am guessing they are your firebellies you have listed on your profile? which 'firebellies' do you have? if they are orientalis then you can leave them in if you like or set up another tank(use the parent tank water for 'primer' in the new set up) and put in a bubble stone or use a sponge filter -both are baby safe (if the parent tank doesnt have either of these youd better take them out too-they can get sucked into even simple filters like box filters) check all your plants for more unhatched eggs and put them in with the larvae too. you will need live food-sometimes larvae will eat frozen food like daphnia but they wont eat it all and you will have to remove the uneaten food before it spoils and fouls the water. keep them in their own set up and separate those that get big enough to eat the siblings(see my last pic on my post'how to get ahead') densities of larva should be low enough that they dont eat tail tips and legs-if you see this then either thin them out or put in lots of plants (real if you have a light source-plastic if you dont) or furniture (i suggest a futon!
smile6.gif
) i am sure there is an article in the caudata culture section on this stuff too.

i am in the same boat as you-i have a tank full of cynops pyhrogastor (or however it is spelled) and i never saw eggs and the tank was very green-just cleaned it the other day and as i was getting down to the bottom bucket of water i noticed a larvae-4 legged even(advanced) in my cup i use to help with water changes-i then panicked-since the water was green and i never saw any eggs i didnt make the precaution of checking the cup for larvae(its clear)-talk about throwing babies out with (bath) water! i wonder if i did.... i only found 2 in there-both at the same stage of growth-i just wonder what they were eating in there and how they avoided their parents. i occasionally gave the parents live blackworms, but since they are soo small they arent really good food for them-these larvae must have eaten the worms the parents didnt catch plus maybe their siblings-they were lean but ate well when i offered them black worms. though the tank was green i doubted i had microorganisms that they could have eaten since i never introduced any to that system-the parents have a new tank now and next time i will catch them for sure.

i think my firebellies are too young yet for breeding i really believe they are from my red spotteds but the only time i ever seen them in amplexus was when i first got them almost 6 months ago. my problem is i use gravel as substrate kind of alot since i have a deep pool area and a land area. do you think i should try and siphon the gravel for the larvae and take the chance of it shifting and injuring them or just let them go and keep a close eye on their size. right now one of them is in the front of the tank about an inch down in the gravel with a clear run to get out but not clear enough for an adult to get in.. i guess my biggest debate is do i syphon the gravel or just let it take its course...
Wolfie
p.s the larvae right now are aprox 1/4 inch in size maybe a tad bit smaller.
also my firebellies im not sure which subspecies but they are very dark black on their backs bright red on their bellies and they have the red stripe along the bottom of their tail. i'll try and get pictures of them if i can ever figure out how to get a clear one zoomed in lol.

Holy wowsers lol i double checked my plants again and they are covered i dunno if i did the correct thing but i pulled the plants and put them in a seperate tank with a low powered air stone. by my count im counting about 3 eggs and my guess is their approx a week old since that is when i put the plants their on in the tank. first live plants ive put in
happy.gif
Im too excited after finding them all had to tell someone lol.
Wolfie
p.s Thanks paris for the suggestion for putting them in a small tank with an airstone. Anymore suggestions from the pros would be much appreciated

Why do you think your CFB are too young to breed? If they are from a pet store and over 2 inches long they could be full grown and 10 years old (no way to know). See the articles on microfoods and raising newts from eggs:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/articles.shtml

I'd suggest letting some of the larvae grow up in the tank. For the first few weeks, they might actually do better there than separated. There is some risk that they could become someone's lunch, but there are risks involved in raising them separately too.

i'll have to get an exact measurement of my firebellies their not very big maybe 2-3 inches at max but im thinking its red spotteds because ive 3 that fit the description of female and the past month have put on some weight, it doesnt seem disease oriented as they are active and eating and healthy looks more of that of holding eggs. also i have checked 2 different links 1 for the food and 1 for raising them from egg to adult
happy.gif
very informative articles also i thaught the same thing and after i wrote my last post and was looking more i count about 40 eggs total probably more i cant see and so far ive seen 2 larvae swimming around in the tank with the adults. i left 2 plants with about a total of 15 eggs in the tank thus tryin both methods and my others are in a shallow plasting container with the live plants they were placed on so should me more than enough oxygen i think for food im going to first attempt finely chopped blackworms since i have those at hand for when needed. i guess because this is my first experience with newt eggs/larvae its highly exciting to me i cant wait for them to hatch
happy.gif
once morphed i will more than likely keep 2 - 4 of them and give away the rest. once i know for sure wether they are red spotted or fire belly i will post in the for sale/trade giveaway for cost of shipping section
Wolfie

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back