Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help with tank design

V

vicki

I work at a high school that has a very large built in tank. (I can't remember how many gallons, but it is 10 ft long x 2 ft wide) We are stocking it as a freshwater tank, but would like to have a land area as well. After months of planning and discarding ideas I think we have decided on an island in the middle of the tank. Any ideas how we can acheive this while maintaining the natural look?}

K

kara

plexiglass! use stands made out of hollow plexiglass tubes, you can cover those with plants, and have the island be a container like shape where you can add soil for plants and moss. try the vivarium and aquariu part of the foru for ore ideas.

K

karen

I made a nice island out of 2 pieces of acrylic....one was cut rectangular and one was cut as a solid cylinder. I then glued a large plastic platform to the top....I'll try to post a pic soon.

K

karen

See pic for my island (hard to see, but it's in the middle).
70384.jpg

K

kandace

One thing you need to remember if you plan to have salamanders or frogs there needs to be a gradual slope so that they can walk up to land and walk into the water.
70393.jpg

V

vicki

Wow, Karen it took me a while to see the column in the middle, thanks. I think this is what we are going to do. Did the platform have a lip or anything to prevent substrate from sliding off?

(Message edited by starvinmarvin on September 19, 2006)

L

leanne

kandace, your salamander needs mostly a terrestrial environment----ambystomatidae are by definition burrowing animals.

E

edward

Hi Kandance,

True aquatics don't have to have the gradual sloping area to shore areas unless there is some other reason they cannot climb out (such as deformities etc). Typically most species can readily climb out on a piece of floating cork.

Ed

K

karen

Vicki- The plastic rock on top of my platform just has java moss and a few rocks on it....no soil or gravel, so I don't have to worry about anything sliding back into the water. The java moss is easy to maneuver, stays put and actually grows on what you put it on.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1