Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tigerz

G

gergify

I been wondering if two or more tiger salamanders can be kept in the same tank. Are tigers extremely messy? what are their tank needs???

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I have kept 2 Eastern tigers in a 10 gallon aquarium for > 5years - they seem to do quite well...they are also well fed...they have never exhibited territorialism. When introducing the second one, I was wary but has seemed to work out fine. I do not find them messy. I keep two large shallow water containers in their area...they do seem to use these (gets dirty) so I have to clean these and change the water (distilled) every few days. I keep about 5 inches of moist coconut fiber substrate in the tank and do change the substrate once a month. When I had only the one sallie, could change it a little less frequently.

G

gergify

i know a guy who finds tigers all the time. is it al right to keep wild ones??? there pretty expenseive around here. is gravel a good bedding? I was thinking of a 50-50 tank (cuz i'm thinking of keeping ghost shrimp and stuff too)

ali

Reaction score
Gerg, gravel is not good for tigers. They burrow and need a coco fiber bedding. Also, I don't think a 50/50 tank for them would be great because they are mainly terrestrial so a water dish would be good. (Hope you weren't going to put your t. gran in the same tank.)

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Regarding statutes on keeping tigers, since you live in Illinois you should check with the Illinois Department of Natural Resources - some states require a permit to capture and keep from the wild. Re bedding, tigers are mole salamanders and must have a substrate that allows them to burrow and can be kept moist...gravel alone will not work.

I

ian

Jan, shouldn't it be using Spring water instead of Distilled water due to omosis?

G

gergify

is this coco like a woodly substance?
Should i discard the idea of having ghost shrimp or aquatic animals in the same tank???
one more question, i know these things can get giant, but how many can i fit in a thirty gallon tank.

And no i'm not putting my T. granulosa in the same tank. lol. I was thinking bout putting him in a 5 gallon tank on my bed.

(Message edited by gergify on March 05, 2006)

T

tyler

I don't have all the answers to your questions, but I do think that you should discard the idea of mixing aquatic animals with terrestrial salamanders. Anecdotal evidence suggests that tiger salamanders kept in semi-aquatic setups are more prone to disease in the long run.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Ian - the question you pose is interesting regarding spring vs distilled water. Within the context of homeostasis and osmoregulation, I am not sure that for terrestial salamanders (tigers) that it is significant. When considering the tonicity of either, I haven't seen data whether there is an influence (doesn't mean it doesn't exist - I just have not seen it). Distilled water is (I assume) hypotonic but I do not know if spring water is isotonic or hypertonic. The permeablility of the epithelium would also be a factor regarding homeostasis. The tigers aren't in water for very long periods and not daily from my observation of my little guys. Would anyone have any data on this and which water is preferable for terrestial sallies?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1