Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Vermiculite?

B

beckie

I've heard that if you use soil for your salamander you should take out all the vermiculite (is that the word). What is it? Why is it harmful? Thanx!

J

jennifer

You should not use "potting soil" for sals. The dangers are from the added fertilizer and the bead-sized bits of perlite and/or styrofoam that are in it. If swallowed, these bits can lodge in the digestive tract. Vermiculite is just tiny bits of mica (a mineral), which is fairly harmless unless it is the right size for swallowing. Some amphibian products (Jungle Mix) contain finely crushed vermiculite, and it's probably not bad. It is also OK to use plain old "top soil" or even soil from outdoors.

C

coen

Hey Jennifer, I've got special wood chips for moist terrariums, It won't grow any mold on it (?) Do you think this is good for my T. Vulgaris newts when they go terrestrial?

K

kaysie

are they cedar? cedar is resistant to molds. and is poisonous to most mammals, but i'm not sure about caudates. the fumes are inhaled and are toxic to the lungs.

if they're not cedar, are they treated with a chemical to make them mold resistant? then they're probably bad for your newts.

C

coen

I bought it together with my terrarium, it's specially made for terrariums, I'm just not sure if it's good for newts. I don't have the package anymore, But when i'm at that petshop again I'll check it!

J

jennifer

I'm pretty sure that any product sold for use with animals will be safe for sals. I have used Repti-bark (a tree bark sold for reptiles) without any problems. I have also used cypress mulch (the kind sold in garden stores). Avoid pine and other very aromatic or sappy woods.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!