Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newt Toys

T

tinyfellow

I think my two newts are bored. they swim over whenever I walk by and really like attention, but does anyone have any ideas for toys or something I could put in their tank to entertain them? I'm worried about rubber balls and stuff off-gassing or being unhealthy. they have a bunch of drift wood and plants and all, but any other ideas are welcome! Thanks!

R

reid

They do not require toys. But you can put plants and other accerceries in their like driftwood or caves.

J

joan

You could also try small aquatic insects, or insect larvae, that they could hunt for food.

J

jennifer

Live food is about the only entertainment that a newt would enjoy. Be careful not to add anything that will pick on the newts, though (most fish would not be good). Live blackworms or ghost shrimp might work.

ali

Reaction score
I buy ghost shrimp every few months or so. I've got two that have held out for quite a while though. The newts for the most part ignore them, but if they happen to be behind one that isn't paying attention, they'll spend hours inching up on it.

E

edward

snip "they swim over whenever I walk by and really like attention,"endsnip

This is a conditioned response with you as a food stimulus. It isn't because they are bored or want attention (unless the attention is the addition of food...).

Ed

T

tinyfellow

Thanks for the ideas! I'll get some new driftwood and some live food for them. I know that they don't *need* entertainment, but I want their lives to be as interesting as possible
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!