Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Where to release this sal?

mike

Reaction score
Hello all. kind of an odd situation i'm in right now. Yesterday night it was pretty cold outside, it was around 35 degrees last night. Anyway as my girlfriend went outside to smoke, our pug noticed somehting on her way out. The salamander was curled up laying next to our sliding door (We live on the bottom floor of an appartment building) the dog sniffed it real quick but the sal did not move. I thought it was dead, but uppon closer inspection it was not. I scooped him/her? onto a piece of paper and brought it inside. I put him in a gladware thing as it was the most suitable thing I could find to put it in.

http://msober.ath.cx/sal.jpg for a picture of it.

Anyway, after a half hour or so it started moving around a bit. I went and got it some crickets to eat. Anyway, I'm not quite sure where exactly it lives, as there is some construction around the appartments. I want to find the best place to release it so it can servive the winter ( do they have problems in cold climates w/ snow?) I went out and got a 60quart container and some organic nothing added top soil. Anyway, the sal seems to be 'up to par' health wise again, but I don't want it to freeze to death or anything like that. What should I do? I can take more pictures if you guys want
happy.gif

thanks, mike.

mike

Reaction score
It's not freezing down here yet, it was just a cold front. It's 63 right now, and the weather will be warm 60-75 for the next month or so most likely. It starts getting real cold middle of october. So I would rather release it than keep it for the winter. He does not seem happy in the plastic box.

M

meghan

Unless you're prepared to house it properly for the winter, I'd let it go where it won't get run over or tromped on.

S

shaun

Is it just me, or is there an injury on its head? If it seems to be infected or anything along those lines, I would try to keep it over winter.

mike

Reaction score
Shaen: I believe that was just a bit of orange reflection off of his shiny head from the camera
happy.gif

I had my mom let it go at her house, she has a nice big garden type area with a pond and waterfall area. so I'm sure he will have enough time to find a place to chill.

mike

Reaction score
Mike: That was a thought of mine, the layout of the garden, and the fact that nothing new will be planted, and he was released on the other side of it, by the water feature (no fish, or other animals) he should be okay. There is a field behind my moms house. I was going to release him by my house, but I don't know where he would go, there is new construction all around my apartments, and it won't stop till the last bit of field gets paved over. No more construction will go on where my mom lives, so he should be better off. I live in denver, CO.

N

nancy

Mike, I too have found four eastern newts in my house of all places!! Dont quite know what to do about them. NY is beginning to get cold already. I have tried to feed them freeze dried blood worms, to keep them alive until I can figure this out. Does anyone have an answer on temp. survival? I would only keep them as a last resort. Any other suggestions?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1