I want to get another newt any cage sugggestions

C

cam

Hi everyone,
I would like to buy my second fire belly but have no idea of what way to setup my cage. I have an idea to put in 1/2 a tank of water and a bit of land. Maybe a small fountain or water flow. My budjet is fairly high and can change accordingly.
Pet stores and web sites say I should put in 1/3 to 1/2 a tank of water and a land or island area. They say I can have 3 or 4 newts but I highly doubt that.
Right now I have a 10 gallon tank and have a small filter. There is 3 or 4 inches of water and have a land area that is 5 inches long. 2 plants hang from the back wall and the newt loves it. I have a male but would like to maybe start breeding. Any suggetions

Thanks
Taylor

You don't need that much land at all. Your set up sounds pretty good already. I'ld say that you could keep 2-3 newts in there happilly. When shopping remember to look out for healthy animals.

As Mike suggests, the water depth could certainly be greater than 3-4 inches. The 10 gallon tank is probably enough, although 15/20 gallons would be a nice upgrade if money is no object. Be sure to quarantine the newcomers. If you are getting a larger tank, you could set up the new ones in the large tank, then move the old one over after a month or so (assuming you have no disease problems during that time).

In case you haven't seen it, this page might give you some ideas for setups:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/setups.shtml
Some of the other articles there may also be helpful.

By the way, all this assumes that your "firebelly" is really a firebelly. If it's a warty or paddletail, then the whole story changes! See:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/firebelly.shtml

Hi Guys

Thanks for the advice I just have two medium sized hanging plastic plants. so alive is better? I don't get how the water change works though. Should I put in a waterfall thing? And last how would you keep the dirt in the pot if I am only allowed to use gravel as a bottom.

Thanks Cam

30410.jpg

30411.jpg

30412.jpg

30413.jpg

30414.jpg

Sorry they din't come with the original e-mail

(Message edited by mike_g on February 05, 2005)

You should give them more underwater shelter and aquatic plants, these are especially important if you wish to breed your animals.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back