Salamander safe plants???

B

beckers

I would like to put some live plants in with my salamander. Are there any plants which are poisonous to them? And are there any ones that would be better than others? thanx!!

Hi Beckie,
I keep tiger salamanders and a fire salamander. The tigers excavate and trample all plants, they even dig up small plant pots so I've given up. My fire salamander enjoys Pothos growing throughout her terrarium (its a vining plant that is non-toxic.

I'd say any plant will do as long as you don't mind them being dug up like in the previous post.But this isn't true for all salamanders.Probably mainly Ambystomas.I'd have to say any plant that doesn't have any type of secretion and probably not carnivorous plants...I meen if they aren't letting the toxins out somehow the sals wont be harmed since they won't be eating them. o_O And plants with low light requirements may be better since added heat/dryness from a light isn't the best thing for sals...I'd go with mosses and any other plants that have the same requirements as the salamanders.

i read somewhere that golden pothos is poisonous...is that bad? (p.s. i found out that tiger salamanders are illegal to have in my state, so i'm getting japanese fire belly newts insted...good thing i didnt set up the aquarium already
rofl.gif
)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back