Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

No Iggy Died!!!

C

connor

Well,ive had my fire bellied newt for about 3 months now. He was in a tank with a beta and an ADF until i found out that they prefer cold water. So i removed the heater from my hospital/breeding tank and put him in there where hes done alot better!
But today came a surprise I came home to find him lying on the floor of the tank motionless. I thought the worse. I scooped him out with my hand to find him dead. My mum was surprised as she said she saw him swimming up to the top of the tank.
SO what went wrong? Could he have been coming up for air? COuld it be something to do with not having a filter in the tank? Please i need to know! Im getting a 2 more on thursday though which is a plus to a sad day...

I

ian

I think the first enclosure you have provided might have already weakened the newt. And when you move it to a better place, the process and new environment might have stressed him. It is also possible that the nitrogen cycle is not ready for the new enclosure so that your newt eventually poisoned to death.

Afterall, in my opinion, mechanical filter is not the most important, it is the biological filter. How do you usually change water? How often? how much do you feed? Do you have plant? how big is the tank and how much water?

It is also possible that a newt that you have purchased from store is wildcaught and likely been through a lot. Which has been very weak for a long time already.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1