Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illegal Cauatas?

T

tyler

Does anybody know of a website that I can go to to found out which caudatas are illegal for me to keep in my state? I've been having trouble finding them in pet stores, so I thought that I would just hunt for natives.

ali

Reaction score
Tyler, they're pretty hard to find where I live also.

You should check the for sale section on this forum. Lots of people will sell and ship for you at a very reasonable price. Also, you'd be receiving a captive bred newt rather than one taken from the wild. Happier all around!

T

tyler

How would I know if the pet I'm buying isn't illegal for me to keep?

E

edward

Typically this information is available through whichever department handles the fish and game laws. In some states it is the Department of of Enviromental Protection, in others like Pennsylvania it is the Fish and Boat Commission.

You need to check with the state goverment.

Ed

T

tyler

Thanks Russ, I had no idea that the two salamanders (Oregon Slender Salamanders) that I had before were illegal. Luckily I believe I can still have a Tiger Salamander without a special license that is if I don't intend on selling it.

J

jennifer

Does anyone know offhand if it is illegal for people in Oregon to buy caudates from outside Oregon? I seem to recall they have restrictions on non-native species. I don't see anything about this in the link from Russ.

R

russ

From personal first hand experience I never use posts on forums or conversations with state or federal wildlife authorities as fact when it comes to wildlife laws. You would be surprised at the number of "experts" that either don't really know the rules or who will even purposefully misquote them because of their personal opinions on the possession of wildlife. I have to see it in writing from an official source.

K

kent

WOW, this really sucks, pretty much all caudates are illegal in oregon, really wish I would have thought to check that before I just spent over $600 on setups to breed them, IM gonna have to get really really stoned just not to go phychotic over here, this is horrible

J

jennifer

Thank you, Ralf. Sorry, Kent.
sick.gif

R

russ

Wow, I hadn't actually looked at the prohibited list, pretty extensive. Try working with some of the legal native species.

TJ

Reaction score
Well, there's always the axoltl!

But before reaching for the bong, Tyler, might I suggest you engage in some group therapy with our friends from Down Under?
lol.gif

poor guy....

A

alex

Wow, that is quite a bummer. I thought CT was bad, but clearly i'm much better of than you are. Legislation always makes me wonder, what possible cause could there be for the prohibition of all those species, not just caudates. Alex.

E

edward

Having lived through several different jusidictions and the enactment of legislation PETA is often less a consideration that you would suspect. In the main, legislation like this is a finacial decision as they do not have the funds to train the enforcement officers to identify the various animals that are not target species. The training is going to focus on the commercially valuable species like game animals and game fish. Other animals it is easier to create a blanket legislation that can be enforced by anyone.

Ed

R

russ

That's a partial, if not deceptive, reasoning given by many divisions. The flip side to that reasoning is that the more species they can get listed as "rare, threatened or endangered" the more justification they have to request funding, both state and federal. Money equals programs, programs equals employees, employees equal management, management equals promotions. Not be cynical, but that's the reality of bureaucracy.

E

edward

How is it deceptive Russ? If the agent cannot tell the difference between an axolotl and a larval tiger salamander or a rare plethodontid and a common plethodontid how is the admission and the rule banning all potential look alikes deceptive??

If USF&W has admitted that it doesn't have the funds to review and add/change ESA listings unless compelled to by a law suit how can a state or other jurisdiction get more funding if the money (by admission) is not available?? (It has been reallocated to homeland security and the war....)

Many state programs are significantly underfunded for example, in Pennsylvania the entire non-game species budget (including stipends) is funded by the sale of license plates and is typically around one hundred thousand dollars.... This is all that is present in the state budget and all that the legislators in Harrisburg are willing to fund. So if the sales go down so does the funding.....

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1