Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Gravid fire bellied?

K

kathrine

I just got 4 Japanese Fire-bellied newts from a pet shop two days ago. One of the newts is big, but not necessarily in the abdominal area. These are my first newts and the pet store wasn't able to sex them(I tried, but I didn't know how. I had done some research but it didn't help much.) It started to get very rough with the other newts and even violently thrust one around the tank. At first, I thought they were two males competing for a female and I should separate them, but then someone suggested that it was "pregnant". I looked it up, but I still can't tell if it's bloated or gravid. I can't provide a picture, but I can tell that its belly is more of a grayish tint than red, is bigger than all the other newts in the tank, doesn't have any gray highlights on its tail, and was with five newts at the pet store. I separated the newt from all the others, but it's in a smaller tank and with one plant. I'm counting on it being gravid for a school project(they won't be harmed in the process). And by the way, if the female is gravid, will the eggs be developing in the female and is it too stressed to lay the eggs due to small enclosure and new home. }

A

andy

Hi Kathrine, welcome to the site! without a picture it's hard to answer your questions but i'm guessing your newts are paramesotriton. The best advice i can give you is to go to the section named commen name, family genus and species, go to the paramesotriton section and see if they are like your newts. You should find what you need to know there. Good luck!

K

kathrine

Thanx. I don't think it's any of the warty newts bcuz it's skin is smooth and it is larger than them. i was thinking maybe it was a Chinese fire bellied newt bcuz it is so large and it looks a little bit more like the pics. I'm still not sure, though bcuz it isn't yellow on the belly. By the way, it doesn't have long toes, if that helps @ all.

K

kathrine

I now kow it is gavid cuz i looked @ the pics of gravid females. still not sure about what kind. it has been like thos since i got it so why won't it lay the eggs? is it bcuz i had it w/three others? as i mentioned, i put it in a different tank, but it's very small. there's 1 plant in there.

K

kelsey

I bought a fire belly newt that was much bigger than the others and it turned out to be a female. And she does get fat and lay eggs every year. However, she does have the typical orange belly and she isn't aggressive unless its towards food.

K

kathrine

Thanx, Jennifer! They are paddletails. i'm glad you suggested that because i know nothing about paddletails so ill have to look into the species.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1