Frozen Earthworms?

J

john

Hello:
I am thinking of buying live earthworms, freezing them (causing death), chopping one up while frozen, and then thawing out the pieces to give to my Western Newts. This would eliminate having to cut the worms while alive. Is this safe to do? How long can I keep frozen earthworms before they will spoil? Thank you.

John

I suppose you could...but why? They'd probably be easier to feed out live.

If you have trouble getting worms in the winter this might work. I have no idea how long they can be frozen but it might depend alot on how good of a job you do keeping bacteria out...with worms that is pretty tough.

I have actually done this before when I left my pachytriton in the care of my sister for a summer. She had no problem doing water changes and tank maintenance, but was just too sqeemish to cut up worms. So I cut up several canadian nightcrawlers and froze them for her. I used that press and seal wrap stuff so the worms would be sealed tightly, and froze probably about 1/3 of worm together, or what I thought was a good sized meal for the newt. It worked well for us, and have actually been thinking of doing this again because as of late, I cant go through a whole tub of nightcrawlers before they die and spoil on me. But I dont know how long they could stay in the freezer before they would get freezer burn, at least 2 and 1/2 months from my experience. I hope that helps, and good luck with it
Heather

Hello Guys
I have frozen earth worms in a sandwich bag for several month and fed them to my newts with out any problems! I have also done the same thing with snails and crickets with out any problems!
Now I keep earth worms alive in the refrigerator and feed them to newts with out any problems!
So far I have kept my earth worms alive for about 3 weeks in the refrigerator!

If you are concerned about cruelty to the worm, I think freezing may be worse than chopping.

I have also used frozen pieces of nightcrawlers, so doing that is not a problem in terms of using them that way.

I hear everybody cuts their worms and i just give them to her.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back