How do i care when i go away?

J

jay

I have redback salamanders and i was wondering what should i do while im away for a week? I have to mist them daily, so should i get a neighber to do that, or is it not necessary? Also, would it be okay if i didn't feed them for a week, or do i need to get someone to do that too? Any help is greatly appreciated.

~Jay
smile.gif

I wouldn't worry about the feeding part. But if the setup dries out quickly, you better get someone to come in and spray it. It kind of depends on what kind of substrate you have: some soils dry out quickly, some would stay damp for a week no problem.

i have redbacks, too... They're usually good for food when I go away, I put some extra in with them. Btw, what do u feed them? mine will only eat worms. Anyway, definitely get someone to mist them at least once a day. I had a friend that made that mistake, thought her salamanders would be ok, she came home after two days and they had already died and dried up...

I feed them earthworms and flightless fruit flies, I will put some in with them before I leave and I will get a neighbor to spray them.

THe substrate is paper towel. I tried soil, but it was to hard to keep track of them because they dug and I couldn't make sure they were eating and healthy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back