Taricha Granuloso Diet

K

kara

I've been researching the species quite a bit, but have found conflicting information on what to feed these guys...caudata's care sheet says small crickets, nightcrawlers, earthworms, waxworms and mealworms...some other sites say pellets (Is that really healthy??) and frozen worms...
I am prepping the tank, it is being cycled as we speak.
Does anyone recomend a co-habitation for these newts? fish? other salamanders??

Kara. Mixing species is bad. All newts should be kept with only their species of newt. The only possible cohabitants I could recommend would be ghost shrimp, SMALL snails (not apple snails) or possibly white cloud minnows. I got some minnows and hate them, wish I hadn't gotten them. See this page of species mixing disasters:

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Mixing_disasters.shtml

As for the food, what you've got listed there is good. I would recommend chopped nightcrawlers or live blackworms (in a feeding dish). Mine also ate the frozen worms for a while, then seemed to be tired of them.

Keep in mind that taricha granulosa are the most toxic species of newt. Placing another species in there would be very dangerous.

I just read the mixing disasters sheet...
I dont think i will be taking any chances...

Good quality pellets are difficult to obtain and many newts refuse to eat them anyway; the ones sold in pet shops as newt pellets are almost always refused. Frozen bloodworms are good (especially Hikari brand). If you can vary the diet with various kinds of worms, bloodworms, and insects, that would be ideal. Does your bf's shop have live blackworms?

no blackwors at Johns petshop...crickets, mealworms and frozen bloodworms...
I may try earthworms from the countryside...none from the city bait shops...(don't know where they come from)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back