Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newt With Bloated Stomach

H

hamster

Hi, I have a female warty newt, today she is bloated (just her stomach) and she floats at the surface (seems to have trouble sinking). Last night when I went to bed she was on the bottom of her aquarium with no appearant problems. When I went into my bedroom at about 8:30 p.m I found her tank (that I had just cleaned last saturday) absolutly filthy. It turns out that my brother thought she looked hungry at about 6:00 a.m and dumped in about half a can (about 18 grams) of "HBH Newt and Salamander Bites" (the crappy food he feeds his newt, I feed her chopped earthworms. He dumped it on top of her rocks so quite a few were washed into the water because of the filter current, and the ones that did not fall into the water still washed pollutants into the water. She is currently in shallow water (so that she does have the stress of attempting to prevent floating). I don't know how many she ate, the instructions say to feed 2-3 per newt so she probably over ate. I read the caudata.org article on bloat but I don't think she has kidney diesease, eggs or infection. About a month ago she got bloated from eating too many crickets (but she did not float), she recovered after three days of not eating and was then swiched to chopped earthworms and was perfectly healthy until she got hold of this smelly pollutant "newt food". Should she simply not be fed for a little while and kept in clean water or is additional treatment required? Can being in polluted water for that long cause bacterial bloat? Any advice is appreciated.

E

ester

Might it be she ate the pellets while they were still relatively dry. Once they come into contact with water they swell a bit. I don't think the 2.5 hours in dirty water can have caused a bacterial bloat.
I'd say kill the brother (JOKE!) and don't feed the newt for a few days.

H

hamster

It was actually more like 14 hours (6:00 am - 8:00 pm), she seems better today though, she feels kind of like a deflated balloon (probably from becoming bloated so quickly then losing alot of air). I have been keeping the door locked to avoid further "feedings". Thank you for the information.

(Message edited by hamster on June 17, 2005)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1