Where to get...

R

raphael

Anybody have any good recommendations as to where to buy aquatic plants online?
thanks for the help!

To add to the above post I'd also like to know what fully aquatic plants are recommended for N. Viridescens.
thanks again for the help

I think N. viridescens will like any aquatic plant. For egg laying, anacharis/elodea and hygro are good. Here is a place that is recommended, but I never used them: http://www.trueaquariumplants.com/default.asp
I did buy some anacharis once on ebay and it was great healthy stuff. But, like most of the aquarium plants I've tried, it gradually died out. I think my tank just doesn't have enough light for anything but java moss.

ive had N. Viridescens use elodea for egg laying. also they might be common but they are a real pleasure to work with
james

I have another quick question. Jennewt, where do you get your aquarium moss and plants that you have in the picture of your setup for red efts?
Thank you all for the help.

The plants were cuttings from ordinary houseplants, such as ivy. The moss was the green-colored (dead) moss that they sell at pet shops. I stopped using it, as some folks think the artificial green color might be harmful.

every time there is talk of eggs, or breeding, Common Waterweed is brought up. I think I need to start using this. Of course, now i need "non-heat" producing plant lights for the uva/b and learn something new. Ive never been a green thumb.

When you "plant" it, do you need soil or something, or do you put the roots under gravel? any other care? I seen some additives to the water but, unsure if its bad for newts. (as everything sometimes is)

thanks. sorry for the change of subject.

steve, as far as aquatic plants go, i'd say that anacharis(aka elodea, egeria) has to be one of the plants most commonly used by my newts for laying eggs. java moss is also very common. java moss will do fine with most lighting, but egeria usually requires more lighting. even for higher light demanding plants, usually twin-tube floruescent lighting works.

as for fertilizer, i haven't had any problems. i am however careful not to overdose.

~Aaron

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back