Homemade chiller.. i need opinions

A

antoni

Hello every body!!
I use a refrigerator to cool my aquariums but i have a friend that can´t assume the high costs of buying one for him so we are looking for something homemade with little money. I saw this post http://www.caudata.org/forum/messag...html?1147876100 , I exposed the idea and some of my friends think that this sistem will not be ok.. Can you tell me what do you think??
I´m refering to the method exposed by Pablo Sarano, he says he can change water temp from 29ºC to 12ºC but in a aquarium of less than 20 litres, what about bigger ones...¿?
Thank you very much!!

once i heard that you can cool an aqurium by putting a bottle of ice in the water and changing it every day or whenever it needs!i suppose that this works though i haven't checked it yet...instead of bottles you can use ice bags or you can even surround your aquarium with foam(i don't know if "foam"is the right word in english for what i mean-sorry!)or another material which helps to keep a cool temperature..

The link you gave doesn't work. Can you give the full link?

Please do not post the same message twice, in different sections of the forum. I deleted your other post in the General Discussion section.

i used Sharn's direction and it was working great keeping the temperature great but i found tieing it in with the filter caused that to slow. i hooked a separate water pump to the refrigeration part and it is working great its strong enough to alow for a spray bar around the top to help keep the tank a uniform temp. this time i didnt flood the livingroom

Nobody wants to tell something about the Pablo Sarano cooling method??
sad.gif

It looks like it could work, but may be difficult to maintain. You would need a lot of ice (or frozen bottles) every day. What would you do if you went on vacation? How large is the tank you want to cool?

I use a refrigerator for my aquariums and i have no problems with temps, i´m asking this because i saw the Pablo Sarano post and a friend says that it can´t work well... its only to know what do other people think about it. Do you think it will work in a 100 litres tank???
Thank you very much Jennifer!!

I think we should not doupt about Pablos way.why should it not work well if he swears it does?
I am going to give it a try it anyway.

And Fran...just were can I find Sharn's direction ??

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back