I need to clear this whole "cycling" thing out

J

jeff

Im setting up a new tank today, and I am perplexed as to how to get the cycle going well, fast. This is what I have come up with.
1. Use water from an established newt tank in combo with new water.
2. put starter bacteria culture in and on sponge fillter that will be air powered.

What else?

(Message edited by newtsrfun on November 10, 2005)

one best way to do is to get Ammonia and pour in to the tank of dechoralated water. Monitor the Nitrate cycle. until the cycle is completed, Change with new water. And the tank will have all the bacteria you needed already. This take the shortest time. But in Canada, where I live, I can't find any ammonia for sale. Maybe I have to visit a bio supply store.

The usual way, add to your list:
- use some gravels or stones from an established tank.
- put in some fish fake to feed the bacteria or as a starting source of ammonia.
- use some of the filter material from an established tank. Say a sponge from an established tank filter.
- keep monitoring the nitrate and nitrite and ammonia level.
- I think plant your tank after your tank is cycled will make the cycling process faster. Sinec the plant might take a way some ofthe nitrate you needed to grow Nitribactor(?? or Nitrasoma, forgot their name)

Thing I don't suggest:
- guppy fish. - you have to get rid of the fish afterward. And this is totally not very nice to use a live animal to set up a tank while you have better alternative. And in my opinion, I think guppy fish take more time to establish a healthy culture of bacteria in a tank.

That is what I have learned after I got totally confused by the fish store when setting up my aquarium.

I think we need an air pump to give the water enough air to grow bacteria

Here is a link about aquarium cycling
here

And here is the link on using household ammonia to cycle tank.
here

Take a handful of moist clean soil that is free from pesticides or herbicides, mix into a slurry with cool tap water, filter and add to the tank. There are far more nitrogen cycle bacteria per gram of soil than there is will be in the filter. This can cause a rapid jump start in the cycle. The down side is that you then have the risk of introducing chytrid into the tank.

Ed

Good advice both, but Ed, I worry about the last part of what you just said, the "risk of introducing chytrid into the tank".
How much of a risk are we talking about, and what exactly is the risk in the "chytrid" is intoduced?

And independently, I was under the inpression cycling was not as importent for newts as it was fish, and what comments would you have about a liquid bactria culture/cycle starter?

I know this was directed at Ed, but I thought I'd throw my couple of pennies in. Chytrid's usually fatal if not treated. Cycling's probably more important to caudates because of their sensitive skin. And most liquid bacteria cycle starters are a waste of money. The only one I know of that's worth the money is Biospira. Think of it this way: jar of bacteria sit on a shelf in their waste for 6 months. They may have been alive when you put them in there, but at room temperature, they quickly produce enough waste to poison themselves. Biospira is refrigerated, and has an expiration date.

(Message edited by Joan on November 10, 2005)

Just to add to what Joan commented on chytrid has been documented pretty much world wide and is wide spread in Europe and in the USA (as well as Central/SOuth America and Australia). It is a fungal infection that feeds on the keratinized tissues and has been implicated in amphibian declines (and extinctions). It has been documented in caudates and is variable in its mortality of caudates This is why I specified that it is a concern.

Cycling is important for amphibians as it is for fish as amphibians also respire through thier skin and anything that disrupts thier skin will affect thier survivial.

Ed

Oops, thanks for posting the specifics on that, Ed.
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back