Diurnal salamanders

L

lauren

Hi everyone,

Are there any pet salamander species that are diurnal, or at least active at night? My fire salamander is constantly underneath his moss floor covering (and waits for the worms to find their way to him), and I bought him instead of an ambystomid to avoid that kind of thing! I would like to get a terrestrial caudate that I could see once in a while.
happy.gif

Thanks.

if you spray tank before you feed they will come out, hiding is natural for sals, an aquatic newt might suit your needs better.

you could also try to find some triturus marmoratus my juviniles are hardly ever hiding, they are always above ground, and come over to the front of the glass when i look in to see if i've got any worms for them. the only problem is, i don't know how easy they are find in the US...

I believe there has been a vast movement in the last few years to get CB T. marmoratus in the U.S. I know Dave Nash has been quite successful breeding them, and there are several of us here that should be ready to breed them within the next year.

From my experience with marms, you're right William. They are quite bold, and quite aggressive feeders.

William - Can marmoratus they stay terrestrial if you dont plan on breeding them?

Yes, marms can stay terrestial, though I think they'd benefit with a small water feature, as they like to take occasional dips.

yes can either keep them on the land or in the water, but if you keep them on the land all year round then they might get problems, your best bet is to make a semi aquatic tank, but i would strongly suggest you get them, they are beautiful little animals, but as other have said, if you wan't more active animals then you'll have to go aquatic.

aquatics are also easier to monitor health on and usually better eaters.

Because I already have an axolotl set-up (although I'm between axolotls right now, unfortunately), and I don't have a place for another aquatic set-up (a land set-up is not as heavy, and doesn't require it's own stand).

This was just an inquiry anyway, due to the behavior of my fire salamander. I probably wont buy another kind of caudate for a long while.

well triturus marmoratus, i'm not sure if other triturus (lissotriton, mesotriton, triturus) would be any more active?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back