Marbled Salamander not eating

C

carlos

Help!!!! Please help me!!!! My Marbled Salamander (Ambystoma opacum) stop eating for 3 weeks, what can i do now???
Thank You......

You need to give more details, like tank setup, parameters, how many you are keeping together, food etc. before someone can actually diagnose your problem.

Hi... for example, check the temperature of the tank they live in... under 15°C, they stop eating and moving... you know?

;)

Fabrizio.

<font color="ff0000">There is a help area. Please make use of it next time.</font>

Hi... now the temperature is 13.8, and it live alone in a 8"X 5" tank with loose substrate (moss), and i feed it crickets twice a week.

Is he getting skinny? Is he still active otherwise, or is he hiding in the substrate?

All of the captive marble salamanders I normally see are usually obese so a three week fast is not out of the ordinary. These salamanders have slow metabolisms and are often overfed when kept at cooler temps. I don't have my conversion calculater handy but the ones at work continue to move and feed below 40 F (I just haven't measure how low exactly) When they get that cold sort of feed them when I remember and they still get obese.
Check out the care sheet on marbles caudata care which tells you how many crickets/week a marble salamander needs at different temps.
If you are using an acidic substrate such as sphagnum moss thus can cause a salamander to stop feeding and eventually die so substrate is important.
Just some thoughts
Ed

yes, it always higing in the substrate, and not active, and he is not too skinny. now, i try to leave the crickets for him to hunt by himself, i wish he can eat by this way...... /. .\

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back