Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Awful Accident, Newbie Needs Newt Superhero!

A

abigail

Hi, I was told I could keep a goldfish with my firebelly newts, so I put her in with them... And she was fine the first few days, then today (I'm assuming it was her, since the other newt is too small to really hurt this one) she bit off my newt's feet. What can I do to treat this? I know they regrow limbs, but I'm concerned about infections.

Also, I haven't seen them eat so far and am growing a little concerned. Is this normal? I think it has been three days since I got them, I feed them bloodworm pellets. Thank you for any replies.

Ps-- I have removed the goldfish and am going to give it away to a friend, so there won't be any fish vs. newt issues anymore.

(Message edited by Incredibleshoe on January 13, 2005)

M

me

I am not sure, but with fish, pristine water quality is one of the best things to treat an injury. I don't know how well that applies to newts though...

J

joeri

Goldfish and newts together is a bad idea. Not only did he probably attack the newt, but it stressed them as well and that's the main reason they weren't eating.

The foot will regrow in time, but now is a critical moment for infections. Best separate the little fellow in an extremely clean setup - either water, either moist paper towels. (keep it moist)

Take a look at this link, you'll find more info both on injuries and feeding newts. (and much more)
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/articles.shtml

good luck
Joeri

W

william

if you only got them a few days ago then i shouldn't worry to much if they have not been eating since many newts will not eat for a while when put in a new tank, its all part of the settling in process, but Joeri is right the goldfish probably didn't help matters in that area

M

mark

Ah, I hate petstores that give away crapy information. Out of all the fish, Goldfish are some of the worst kind you can put in there. They release and can tolerate really high ammonia levels, I have lost newts in the past because of this stupid mistake. I would say to do a small water change, and keep the water at the perfect levels.

A

abigail

Well, Rem (the newt that got bitten) is dead. I found him today squeezed up against the wall, his head dried in. That fish really did a number on him.
sad.gif

Thank you for the words. I should have known not to trust pet shops, I've gotten bad information from them before (like to keep a rainbow shark in a 6 gallon tank!). But I'm so new to newts I guess I just believed them, plus I'd read somewhere else that you could put fish in with them.

I'm afraid that Fig (the small one that's still alive) is probably scared out of his mind. Is there a point when I can worry about him not eating? And is it possible to put neon tetras in with the newts without causing any harm to either group?

Thank you very much for the help and the links, I'll read over it as soon as I finish posting.

W

william

no, neons need tropical temperatures while newts need colder temperatures, if you really want to fish in, go for zebra dianos and/or white cloud mountain minnows.

A

abigail

Ok, I'll think about those fish you suggested when Fig is more comfortable with his surroundings. He's doing fine now, not eating yet but he's starting to move around and is getting more comfortable with the water. Once again, thanks for the suggestions and all the advice.
happy.gif

J

jeffrey

hello, I keep bolivian rams in with mine and theyre ok, in fact they look out for the newts!!

martin

Reaction score
Would fancy guppies go well with newts? I'm not really sure about the temperature requirements for them. A friend suggested that and she said she's done it before. If not I'll go for zebra danios.

Edit: I'll probably be getting Japanese fire-bellies.

(Message edited by MartinW on February 12, 2005)

P

pamela

If you really want fish with your newts, the best fish to choose is the Whitecloud (Chinese Mountain Minnow). They are super hardy, prefer cooler water, tolerate a wide range of conditions, and are passive. They are also beautiful little fish. For those that love the little Neon tetras, the Whitecloud is nicknamed "the poor man's neon". Neons need warm water, acidic conditions, and well, just aren't that hardy. In other words, the Neons need quite the opposite conditions that the oriental newts require. In fact, I wouldn't consider any other kind of fish with my newts. WHITECLOUDS!!!

W

william

zebra dianos are fine though, guppys are not, i can remember why but i've heard that they don't do well at newt temperatures, and also guppies are used for food! pearl or giant dianos are also possibilities

K

katie

I got Sparky (C.O.) two whiteclouds...is it possible for him to eat them? I was just worried that he might get hurt by their bones or something if he attempted to eat them.. I know..Dumb question, but..

P

pamela

Hi Katie,

The whiteclouds are too fast for the newts to catch (at least most of 'em are). What size are the fish? Are the fish in a quarantine container? It is best to quarantine your fish for at least a month. (I do anyway.) Disease should show up by then, esp. ICH. You can also pretreat the fish for ich while they are in a separate tank. (PS: don't know how fishbones would affect newts.)

P

pdpdpdpdpd

my baby newts just got there tails bitten off by the other ones 2 of them what should i do there just babies they were born about 1 month and 1/2 ago
should i separate them or no i dont kno wat to do so please help me and there eating frozen daphnia too so help please soonnnnn thanks

Danielle
smile.gif

B

benjamin

Yes, do seperate them, but also create your own thread about the subject.

J

jeff

Just so everyone knows, guppies don't work with newts unless you have like 5 gallons of water at least. I had some in my tank, they either got eaten or died, anyhow one tiny little baby was born in the tank and stayed in there hanging out with the newts for about 3 weeks. He was the newts little pet. Then one day they ate him. It was tragic.
However, the guppies made the tank so gross. Disgustingly gross. Do white clouds do this too?
I have a submerged filtration system, that would seem enough for a few tiny guppies but boy was that water horrible.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!