Can my newts catch crickets?

B

beckie

If i put a dozen or so crickets in my 1/2 aquatic 1/2 land tank will my chinese fire bellys be able to catch and eat them? Or will i have to pull their back legs off or something (owch)?

humm... CFB's? Well here's my thoughts: CFB's are mostly aquatic, so I'd go with water foods first(earthworms,tubifex,brine,black/bloodworms). But if you wanted terrestrial food: try waxworms, or smaller nightcrawlers, possibly cut in half. Crickets if ORDERED/BOUGHT "small" enough would be a treat(dont get the LFS's 3/4---adults, too big), but I find CFB's to be slow so I give them "slow" foods. Also, crickets will get into the water and drown too as a side thought.

If you try this, let me know how it turns out.

Cataldo.

i'm worried about the waterfoods burrowing into the rocks and getting away (or the dirt if on land). my newts seem kinda lazy and i dunno if they'd be able to catch them in time.

hi beckie put your crickets in the fridge for a few minutes to slow them down then feed to your newts.i have seen alot of my newts catch them without slowing them down though, my alpine newt juvies catch fruitfly and micro crickets very easily they have amazing speed catching them cheers justin

Research has found out that juvenile newts tend to 'learn' in their first weeks after metamorphosis to fixate on prey items. If you feed them slow moving prey they will not recognize fast moving ones after a few weeks, and reverse as well. So..if they are not used to fast-food (moving crickets I mean not the McD rubbish..) they will probably ignore crickets. But if they get used to it (cooling down or pulling jumping leggs can help) they will surely eat them.
Wild caught animals tend to eat everything, as they are used to all prey items.

Well, you can also feed them crickets by hand with tweezers. Aquatic newts will eat crickets, but I think it's easier, cleaner, and just plain better for everyone if you take the time to hand feed. Also, if the crickets are kinda big, just cut them in half.

Serge,Maybe that is where my opinion on CFB's come in. Mine, mostly raised myself, are always hand fed or fed "slow" prey, thus my opinion.

Cataldo

I have crickets for my salamander, I also have a "warty newt" can this eat the same crickets?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back