Oita Salamander [Hynobius dunni]

V

vvt72

Hi, I'm doing a project on the Oita Salamander and a part of my project is to have an interview with someone about it. I'm having trouble finding someone who knows about them and I just need for someone to say something that I can quote. Anything at all... such as why we should help it recover from it's status or anything else that I can quote in my research paper. Thank you so much for your help.

Japan has several salamander species living in the forests, rivers, and streams of this ecoregion, including the Tokyo, spotted, amber-colored, Oita, and Odaigahara salamanders.

Across the coastal plains and hills of this region, rice fields stretch where ribbons of broadleaf evergreen forest once grew, a result of the introduction of rice cultivation to Japan almost 2,000 years ago. The land in this region has been almost entirely developed or converted to agriculture. Urban areas have heavily altered the landscape. The largest cities in Japan--including Tokyo, Yokohama, Osaka, and Nagoya, as well as the Pacific industrial belt--lie in this region. Introduced tree and grass species compete with native vegetation. Remnants of original forests grow in sanctuaries around temples and shrines, on steep, inaccessible mountain slopes, and in river gorges.

(Message edited by nuggular on January 18, 2005)

tim johnson and henk walleys are the people to contact -henk works with lots of hynobids and tim works with some and has good access since he lives in japan

another person would be Tim meyers he has set up a breeding project. you could get some good info from him.

John, it's not kosher to quote things without citing the source:

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/wildworld/profiles/terrestrial/pa/pa0440.html

I don't know if you expected vvt72 to use your quote in his/her research paper, and hopefully s/he knows enough to google something like this. However, while I don't know vvt72's age or what the paper is for, schools (certainly high school and up) do not look kindly on plagiarism and you could have got him/her in a lot of trouble. Please be more careful in the future.

sry. I really didnt even think about it. I will site the source next time. I was only trying to help. I was not trying to plagerize anything.

(Message edited by nuggular on January 23, 2005)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back