Still not eating!!!

K

katie

Sparky, my c.o. has not eaten since I got him (about 3 weeks) Recently, i have tried earthworms cut up in little pieces like everyone suggested...He occsionally will bite at one, but then becomes uninterested and walks away..most often, he completely ignores them and just tramples over them.. Is it possible that he just doesnt like the taste of them (he was eating crickets at the pet store I got him from) Is there anything i can do to the worms to make them taste better? I thought I had found the solution to his hunger strike in the worms, but i guess not....any thoughts?

im not an expert, but my newts never ate for months. i dangled some earthworm with tweezers in front of his face till he snapped at it. since then he goes crazy as soon as they hit the bottom. try teasing him

Are you using worms you collect in compost? They have a bad taste. Maybe that's it. Use other worms, the ones you can dig up in the garden are the good earthworms.

Well, the worms never worked...so I reluctantly bought Sparky some tiny crickets (EWW!!!!) I thought this was the solution...BUT NO! He sits there and lets the crickets crawl all over him, sit on his head, and he shows NO interest what so ever!!! I can see his ribs now, any suggestions?

I'm no expert either but I did keep C.O many years ago and remember how hard it was to get them to feed. Mine would only take live bloodworms and other aquatic inverts. Does he go in the water? From your posts it sounds like he's terrestrial. Feeding might be easier if he's more aquatic. Maybe reduce his land to encourage him into the water - just the odd rock protruding rather than a land area. It sounds like he has "pet shop stress" and being on land is his way of dealing with it. Good luck!

Just keep trying everything to get him to eat. Put a small dish on land a put some live bloodworms or blackworms in it. Then hope for the best. You could try pickin up the little dude by his tail and puttin him right by the dish. His need for food should take over eventually.

HE ATE A WORM CHUNK!!! I am So excited!!! Now, since i have never fed any newts worms before...how often and how much? the chunk that he ate was about twice as big as his head..how long will that last him? Is there a digestive period in between chunks or should I try right away with more? remember, he is really skinny! Thanks everyone for all your wonderful help!!

When an animal has not eaten for a long time, it's important not to feed them too much right away. I would say try one piece per day. Good luck, I hope he keeps eating!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back