Fire Sali with an eye infection

L

lewis

Hi there, I'm hoping you can help. My fire sali (S. s. terrestris) has abit of a weepy eye, I don't know if he has got a bit of dirt stuck in it or something, but it has not spread to the other eye and he has not passed it to his tankmate either. Any suggestions on how to cure him? Many thanks

If it's weepy, that does suggest it's infected. I have no experience with this, but I can't think of any real treatment that wouldn't require a vet. It might be reasonable to separate the sal and keep it on damp paper towels to prevent any dirt from getting into the eye.

Thanks very much for your advice, does anyone know of anything that I can use to treat it, as there are not many exotic pet vets round here...
Thanks

As Jenn said, put it in a clinical set up, damp kitchen towel and a piece of guttering as a hide, changed daily. Guess all you can do is bathe the eye with water a couple of times a day, if it still doesn't clear though you'll have to try and find your nearest exotics vet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back