Newbie here!

J

jj

Hi all!
Well, after years and years of waiting a pet store here in HI has finally gotten fire bellied newts! I have waited for over 4 years and just tonight, by chance saw two. I bought both. I'm wondering what kind of set-up should I be looking at. I'll be going back to a pet shop to purchase more suitable housing.
Do they need a filter? I've read that it'd be a good idea to have one, but from pictures I've seen I don't see many with them. Please help as I'd like to keep these little dudes around awhile.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

you certanly need to keep the water circulatin g, if you think on filter, something external whould be better because of the temp. as for housing, water mostly would be ok

Thanks for the link. Dane.
happy.gif

Samuel I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean when you say "external".

I have an internal filter (fluval 2 plus) I haven't noticed any temp. changes.

Ryan, I don't think he was referring, to your find, but to JJ Suga's.

Have you compared the temperature in the tank with and without the filter in constant conditions? Any motorized filter will give off heat, depending upon the volume of water the filter is in and the Watts of power it consumes the temperature change can be anything from several degrees to tenths of a degree. A high wattage filter in a small tank will warm the water significantly and a low wattage filter in a large tank will not.

JJ, I'd recommend getting some bottles of frozen water ready to help keep the newt's tank cool. This is often the most difficult part of their husbandry.

Thanks again for all the help. I should be leaving shortly to pick up more supplies. I'm wondering if I should get a under-gravel filter so it doesn't produce a current???? Will do more reading.

I like both sponge and box filters. These don't provide any current, are inexpensive and provide excellent biological filtration.

Some people swear by under-gravel filters but I dislike them. They tend to pull waste and uneaten food under the plates where it can foul the water necessitating the tank being taken apart to clean. Just something to keep in mind.

Thank you Abrahm, just read what you mentioned about pulling up junk. I'll see what the ps has to offer. I'll be back to post what I came out with.
happy.gif

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Quoting Ryan on Monday 12 February 2007 - 01:18 (#POST121058):</font>

<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
What were you gonna say?
So I got them a sponge filter, some pebbles, and a floating log...for now. I plan on going back this weekend to get them a bigger tank and other things.
Out of curiosity, how much do these newts cost where y'all live? I paid $24.95 for each of mine. Then went to a different pet store and saw them for $12.95!!!! Terrific. LOL.

I've seen them as low as $3.99 here. It's pretty sad as they are usually really unhealthy. These are normally all wild caught and imported. Are they more expensive in Hawaii due to importation fees or some such? I've heard you have some different regulations and laws regarding imports due to invasive species. Could this be the reason?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back