Newt- bunch of trouble

M

mel

We just bought newts and we've never had them before. So we're in the dark about plenty of things...so here goes...

WATER: we use filtered water kept at room temperature with chlorine blockers (drip stuff) used in with it. We also have an oxygen thing that either filters or adds oxygen or both (not sure, it's a blue cylinder on the end of an air pump)..our newts go in the water more now than before since we became such sticklers about fresh clean water...so i'm hooing this is just a settling in thing

PREGNANT: i think one of the newts is pregnant, or close to. The bigger newt[oz] has been sheltered alot recently by the small newt[fig]. fig lays beside oz covering her/him with it's legs and tail. Today i was cleaning the tank and oz crawled onto my hand and i noticed her belly (which has gotten somewhat bigger) is starting to feel like a water balloon..squishier than fig's belly.....is oz a girl and pregnant or is it sick with something?

TANKMATES: we have a cherry barb and a silver tetra...they are being kept in a small seperate tank at the moment as we are unaware if they are good tankmates. If they are not we will likely have to give them away or..you know. The pet store said they were fine, but you know pet store people...

FOOD: we're feeding the newts freeze dried blood worms, we don't cut them up as they're already small we just drop them on the water. but the newts don't seem to be eating them. should we cut them up, get something else...or is this another setlling in issue

there, that's all the questions we have so far, sorry for the load of questions...but hey, we're new to the game and heart our newts and want them to stay alive and happy

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back