Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

* what to do with crested newt *

A

amy

today i found a crested newt in a box INSIDE my house. he was so so dry and i just about managed to rehydrate him and hes looking pretty good now. ive looked on the internet about the newt and apparently he should have gone into hibernation a month ago. if i was put in this situation with any other type of newt i would have put it in one of my tanks to see if it did go into hibernation in its own time and keep it there until spring as i dont want it dieing in the cold and im worried hes left hibernating too late but theres a problem. the crested newt is a heavily protected species as it is getting to be quite rare and ive already broken the law by handling it to save its life! should i keep it indoors regardless as i really dont want it freezing, especially with it being a rare species but i dont want to get into trouble. i know its possible to get a licence but im not sure how. any ideas what i should do?

J

jeff

I would keep it for now, I probably was attempting to hibernate and for some strange reason ended up in your house. The point is that you should keep it just to keep it alive and you can always release it later or give it so someone who breeds them.

J

jennifer

Amy, considering that the crested newt is protected in your area, I would strongly suggest that you contact someone with LOCAL expertise. As it may be illegal for you to keep it, even temporarily, you ought to find out what the "right" thing to do is.

In the US, I can call any zoo or wildlife facility and they will usually be able to tell me who to contact about any particular "wild animal situation". I don't know if this would work in your area, but it's a start.

I

ian

I would suggest that you keep the animal for now. But immediately seek out authority. Since the purpose of those laws are to protect wildlife and animals. Leaving the newt to die in the cold weather is violating the main purpose.

W

william

Amy, just put it outside it has been very mild here recently, if you put it outside on an evening that you know it won't frost over. it will find somewhere to hide then.

A

amy

thanks for the replies. i contacted an organisiation that deals with great crested newts in england and they suggested i keep it and gave me the number of somewhere i can get a lisence to keep them. they suggested i keep it unless there is a mildish day and release it then. anyway, its gone now and ive reported the site as being inhabited by great crested newts so its protected legally now too. ill see if i can get a license and check for signs of breeding activity in the spring. :D

K

kyle

Thats very cool Amy, and best of luck this spring on finding some breeding activity!

I can't think of a better way for the crested newts to tell you they needed help by coming to your home and asking for it!

A

amy

and can you believe its happened twice in a row now! this morning on my way to school i opened the door and another great crested newt fell onto its back, legs in the air right in front of me. she was awake and i assume she was trying to hibernate in the door frame but for now ive picked her up, put her in a contaier with some water and ill try and figure out what to do with her. *prays for another mildish day*

W

william

Amy i think with this animal it might be an idea to keep it in until spring, unless we get another mild spell. Do you have a shed or some outdoor building? i'd keep it in a moist box in there to hibernate it.

A

amy

i do have a pond in the back garden. what i think ill do is try and get some compost and keep some in the shed in a box or something. thanks for the replies
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1