Fungus prob

T

tj

1464.jpg

Major problem, as can be seen by the pic. It's got some kind of fungal growth along its back and is listless. When accidently turned over, it could not even right itself.

Acquired it a couple of weeks ago as part of a pair identified as 'China newts' (subsequently have been told they are prob young Hong Kong warties though their skin seems very smooth, quite different from my other warties)

The other one died 2-3 days after acquisition. Before the first died, I had noticed discoloration around the lower part of its mouth but didn't look carefully enough, assuming at the time it was shedding. Neither ate from the start, and both seemed abnormally sluggish.

After the first died, I checked and found the second to have a similar problem. Removed it to a small cube tank with a artificial lilly pad to enable it access to water but not enough to drown in. It's been sitting on the pad for the last few days, and I'd been hoping being out of the water, in the air, might solve the problem.

But this morning I awoke to find it listless and barely alive in the shallow water UNDER the lilly.

This is what I've done since: reduced the water level to just a centimeter and dipped the newt for about 10 seconds in a VERY diluted tropical fish fungal cure solution for about 10 seconds.

The (Japanese) solution was something called methalane green, which I believe to be similar to methalane blue sold in the States. I realize fish medicine is not generally appropriate for newts but I had to rush off to work and the newt looked like it was about to expire within the day anyway...
blush.gif

I'll be surfing for newt fungal cures today, but in the meantime would welcome any advice. Doubt it'll make it through the day though...

I'll try to relay the chemicals in the solution I used already, and am wondering if possibly a longer dip and/or a higher concentration might help.

Trying to console myself with the fact that the wholesaler was said to have had a lot of these 'China newts' for sale, but they never even made it to the retail shops. I and others had the same distressing experience earlier this year with a weakened/stressed-out batch of Pachytriton Bs.

Just read the Caudate Central article about using salt as a cure.

I already have conditioned aquarium salt water available, which I'm using for hatching brine shrimp (get a better hatch ratio than when I try to prepare salt water myself). Would this be useful for a newt dip if, for example, I were to dilute it with equal parts of fresh water? Too weak? Too strong? Dip for what, say a minute or so?

Sorry, bit I'm pretty bad when it comes to calculating grams per liter...especially as salt comes in different consistencies...so I'd prefer to go with already prepared salt water.

Should I then try to peel the fungus off wearing surgical gloves? After exposure to salt, does it generally peel off that easily?

Hi Tim,

I don't think malachite green will help with fungus (nor methylene blue in advanced cases) and is reported to be toxic for amphibians. Fungus is often difficult to treat (and I have not extensive experience with treating caudates so I hope others will give recommendations on specific drugs). Seawater will usually have 27-28 g salt per liter.

If it is Saprolegnia, I'd give it a try to keep the newt on damp paper towel (changed daily) so that the back gets as dry as possible. Thoroughly rinse after a saltwater bath and keep immersed in freshwater for a few minutes.

Note that the newt is likely to also have additional infections which might be more serious than the more visible fungus. More often than not Saprolegnia is a secondary infection. Saving already weak newts is often very difficult.

Good luck for you,
kai

Thanks Kai. Well, prospects for recovery seemed dim all along and I lost the poor guy yesterday, though at one point earlier the same day he seemed a bit better. Yes, now that you mention it, he did seem to have some ulcerations in addition to the fungus.

By the way, what I used sparingly was called "Amazon Green" not "methalane green" as I mentioned, and it's probably the same stuff as malachite green.

Anyway, thanks for the tips! I'm really going to have to bone up on treatments, including the use of hydrogen peroxide, salt, etc., though hopefully I won't find myself facing this same prob again any time soon!

The only newts I have immediate worries about are the Pachytritons (labiatus and B) as they seem, from past experience, to be somewhat sensitive than other newts. Working at keeping their water clean, cool and well-circulated...

And, of course, the Paramesotriton caudopunctatus are a source of worry too, given that as they are terribly aggressive toward each other!

Cheers
Tim

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back